Alyssa's Peace Corps Megadventure

Friday, October 20, 2006

HUH.

I just realized I had this set to not allow non-Blogger comments, and that was silly. So you can comment now, if you feel so inclined. I would appreciate the love.

I might also remind you that I can still receive letters and packages (padded envelopes) of up to a pound. Postage does not seem particularly expensive. Email me, check facebook, or ask my parents for the address. (Desired items include any American candy that could withstand the trip, hand sanitizer, and, most importantly, pictures from home! Particularly those of trees changing colors, Ann Arbor, or...anything at all, now that I think about it.)

In news unrelated to me soliciting affection, we had an awesome nutrition charla with the chiquititos (1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade) at the elementary school yesterday. This might have been partially because or expectations were low. Andrew's and my activity was a relay race in which kids picked up food from a bag, ran to the other side of the patio, and put it in the bucket corresponding to what food group it belonged to, and returned. There are only three food groups in Peru, growth, energy, and protection, so that made it considerably easier. We also included a segment, perhaps 90% for our own entertainment, in which we taught the kids the English words for the foods. It went something like this:

Us: La palabra para ''carne'' en ingles es ''MEAT.'' ¡Repiten todos!
Kids: ¡MAY-AHT!
Us: Mas o menos. Y la palabra para ''queso'' es ''CHEESE.''
Kids: ¡CHAY-AY-SAY!
Us: Excelente.

And last night, Andrew and I made chicken parmesan, menos the parmesan, for my family. They thought it was muy rico, or so they said. We then went out with Melissa for Coke floats. Not all American traditions are for others to understand.

Leaving tomorrow, back next Sunday, excited to get out of the Santa E.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home